AGEING WITH EXPECTATION – A.W.E
Friday December 7, 2018
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE SIX BIG FEARS OF OLD AGE & HOW TO CONTROL THEM
THE SIX BIG FEARS
1. Fear of Losing your mind
2. Fear of Losing valued people
3. Fear of Losing your life (Dying a difficult death)
4. Fear of not coping
5. Fear of a long time in “the Waiting Room”
6. Becoming Spiritually EMPTY
One event can change EVERYTHING.
Aim to make each event take you “Toward Living the Best Life”
Here are 12 suggestions:
- to help protect yourself from the five big fears
- to help you realise there are 12 possibilities – at least!
- to help you contribute to the FLOURISHING and FLOW of your
1. Face the fear. What is it? Distinguish the one fear from the fifty others that seem to want to join the one
2. Resist loading the fear with other feelings –guilt, anger, inadequacy etc
3. Fear can arise from sources outside yourself, inside yourself, between
4. Fear is our ‘existential reality’; but it can be ‘something we ourselves
5. Will you focus on the strength of the fears or on developing effective strategies to lessen the fears
6. We need friends, family, fellow conquerors – We need a philosophy!
7. Some fears can be fenced off (c.f. putting the wild dog behind a safe
8. Avoid revisiting the troublesome sources of your fears
10. Look for the “FAITH FACTOR” –in yourself, others, the past, the future
11. Confirm the small signs of “flourishing” beyond your fears
12. From floundering to finding your FLOW.
Join us after the summer break
The next A.W.E meeting – Friday 1st February @ 1.30 pm Balwyn Evergreen Centre 45 Talbot Ave Balwyn
Dr Francis Macnab will speak on:
SOME WAYS TO ADAPT TO THINGS THAT CAN’T BE CHANGED:
• I WANT A THERAPEUTIC SPIRITUALITY • NINE PROTECTIVE QUALITIES OF SPIRITUALITY
HELP BUILD A WIDER NETWORK OF PEOPLE CONCERNED ABOUT PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALTH AND COMMUNITY WELL- BEING - TELL OTHERS ABOUT -
AGEING WITH (POSITIVE) EXPECTATIONS.
Dr Francis Macnab